Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:04:12 -0500
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Ballew Kinnaman wrote:
> If I understand what Douglas is saying, it is well motivated and
> at least partially incorrect:

You are correct, it is partially incorrect

>  >You cannot determine who is or is not CONCEAL with a REV,
>
> Not So

Yes, it is.  A simple REV will show no options, and Ed never mentioned
anything but a simple REV.

>  >REVIEW listname (ALL NOH

Yes, and it does have that [concealed] (why, I don't know, doesn't show
other option settings, what's so special about CONCEAL? can always check
on those with a query with and with many thousands of subscribers I
would rather do it that way). By the way,
REV listname ALL NOH
works every bit as well as
REV listname (ALL NOH
(holdover from VM days, I guess, and I do usually use the "(" myself as
the lack of it makes me nervous).

I think what we may have here is a conflict between the "real" list,
which is influenced only by email commands, and the "web interface"
list, call it the "ghost" list.  Ed Agro has indicated he works via the
interface, and so do his subscribers.  There is plenty of evidence that
the "real" and the "ghost" do not always talk to each other; the right and
left do not always know what the other is doing/has done.

I have noted many instances of this: when someone subs via the "web"  I am
"notified" and a "name" is given, but, when the person unsubs the "name"
is not given, only the address.  I have had a registered personal LISTSERV
password for my host site for many years, years before there was a "web
interface"; the ghost will not accept my LISTSERV password as it does not
talk to the real.  I have tried it many times and as long as the ghost
will not accept my already registered password I refuse to deal with it.

I will continue to consider that done via email as real and that done
via the ghost as ephemera until this dichotomy is fixed, which may take
a lot of doing as it has always been there and is pretty ingrained, will
likely take a lot of code rewritting to fix.

Douglas