Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:35:31 -0600
A number of people have noted concerns about what is known as "The Great
Kludge" a long-time bug in LISTSERV that had become a "feature" that many
people relied upon to allow, but control, non-subscriber posts to lists that
were otherwise private.  Here are but 2 of these

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:38:41 -0400, <jeff-kell@********> wrote:

>   FOO-LIST contains
>>  Send= Editor,Hold       Editor= [log in to unmask],(FOO-LIST)
>
>and this would translate into what 14.4 equivalent?

For Ver 14.4 do it this way:

Send= Public,confirm,non-member  (This is new in ver 14.3 and 14.4)
Default-Options= Review          (this is required to interact with above)
Editor= [log in to unmask]

Results:

Existing Subscribers can post freely (unless otherwise placed on review,
etc.)

Non-subscribers must first self-confirm their own message (this step,
introduced in 14.3 and continuing in 14.4, eliminates zombie spam servers
and stops most spam msgs from going to Editor).  Then, if/when the
non-subscriber completes the self-confirm, the message then goes to the
Editor for review.  If the editor OK's the message, then it will go to the
list (with the normal spam delay for non-subscriber msgs).  If the
editor does not OK it, of course it dies.

This is slightly more inconvenient than in the past for legitimate
non-subscribers, who must perform the self-confirm each time.  For the
occasional msg posted from a non-subscribed address, this will work very
well.  For people that frequently post from alternate addresses, they should
really have all their alternate addresses subscribed and set to NOMAIL.

Note also that new subscriber's first post(s) will also go to Editor who
must then SET the subscriber to NOREVIEW to allow further unmoderated
postings.  This prevents hit/run spammers from subscribing, posting,
unsubing.

If you want a fully private, members-only list, then of course you want

 Send= Private