Len Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:50:28 -0500
>>The way to reduce the error msg count is to deal with the specific
>>problems,
>>not wish for them to go away.  If you are managing a lot of
>>lists, handling
>>errors is a documented part of the job whether you do it
>>or find someone else
>>to do it.
>
>Well, that's certainly true, and I don't have a problem dealing with
>errors, but I don't think I need to be constantly told what the software is
>doing for me through its sending me "Renewal Monitoring Reports" or "Error
>Monitoring Reports" (or do I?).  What I think you're getting at that and
>that an owner does need to address are "Error Reports" generated by servers
>(mostly AOL) and sent on to owners when the Listserv software can't
>decipher them.
>
>What if I set filters to ignore "Renewal Monitoring Reports" and "Error
>Monitoring Reports" and then put "Error Reports" into a special mailbox.
>That, it seems to me, would have the added advantage of allowing an owner
>to look at the "Error Reports" mailbox and jump directly from error message
>to error message to see if there were patterns that needed to be addressed.
>
>-- John

I'm a fairly new list owner so excuse my lack of knowledge, but I find that
the vast majority of my error reports are from other servers. There are
really relatively few "Renewal Monitoring Reports" and so on. I don't know
of a way to clear these others except to attend to them. That sometimes
takes a while for me, since at this stage I sometimes can't tell what's
wrong from the error report.

Can 'digest' help reduce the number of error messages coming from other
servers by lumping them together?

-- Len
--
    Len Johnson
    [log in to unmask]                          http://lenjay.com

    Currently at:
    T. Rowe Price                            phone: 410.345.8552
    BC/BS
    Owings Mills, MD 21117