"Hiler, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 May 2004 08:40:12 -0400
Thanks all for your response.

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 8:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: lost messages

"LISTSERV site administrators' forum" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote on 05/10/2004 02:08:39 PM:

> Step 1: Check the logs for the MTA that Listserv is using
(Sendmail,LMail, or
> whatever), and see if those three messages ever even arrived at your
Listserv
> machine.  I've seen more than once where the user never actually hit
"send"
> when composing the message...
>
> Step 2: If they never arrived, have the sender get somebody to check the
logs
> at their end.  Changing MLM tools won't do much good if the problem is
> elsewhere.
>
> Step 3: If they did arrive, see if your MTA handed it off to Listserv.
>
> Step 4: Check the Listserv logs, see if they were processed.  It's not
unusual
> for people to misconfigure their MUA (especially if they use multiple
"role"
> templates, and Listserv bounces the mail because it showed up with an
address
> that isn't a subscriber, or a editor/moderator, etc...
>
> Step 5: If in fact the message *was* sent, check the outbound MTA logs
> to see if it was handed off to the recipient's site.  If so, it's
> their problem,
> not yours...

Excellent troubleshooting steps.  Most of them apply to tracking any email
problem. My one other suggestion is to see if there is a delivery failure
involved.  If so, try to get a copy of it.  Look at who returned it and
exactly what the error is.