Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:09:05 -0400

One week. This period of time can be increased but not decreased — see http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/17.0/listkwd/kConfirmDelay.html for details.

> Second, Why would a message not be listed, even though still viable? A message was waiting for Moderation, but not visible in the List Moderation page, andaccidentally released by a click on the link in the message that a Moderator received. The person who clicked has full Listserv Administration permissions, but did not realize that the click would release the message, they thought it would take them to the Moderation page (they had received a copy of the request for release from one of the Moderators).

If a message isn’t listed on the moderation page, that typically would mean one the following.

(1) Although the message was submitted for moderation, it was not sent to the logged-in user for moderation. (Perhaps they are logged in using one address, and are listed as a moderator under a different address, for instance.) If this is the case, then checking the ‘All Moderators’ option and clicking the ‘Refresh’ button should result in the message being revealed.

(2) Alternatively, perhaps the message was not submitted for moderation at all. With ’Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm’, messages from editors or moderators will not themselves be moderated, but instead must be confirmed by their sender. As above, using the ‘All Moderators’ option on the moderation page should find the message in this case.

(3) Finally, if the message has already been approved or rejected, then it would (obviously) no longer show up on the moderation page. If it were approved, then it would show up in the mailing list’s archives (if it has archives) or in the list activity report (if the mailing list has changelogs enabled). If it was rejected, then that is harder to track down; you’d need to look in the LISTSERV log file in that case to find out what happened to it.

> How do I identify when a message has expired in the Listserv log? I see the message come in, a message to each Moderator, and one the the original sender, but if no Moderator releases the message, how do I determine that it has expired, based on the log?

Nothing is written in the log when a message expires, so you’d have to check to see if it’s been more than a week since the message was submitted.

Thanks,
jwgh