"David Boyes (Network Postmaster)" <556@OREGON1>
Wed, 05 Aug 87 11:10:13 PST
After  watching all  this sound  and  fury pass  by,  I think  I finally  have
something  to say.  As  far as  I  can see,  LISTSERV does  the  best it  can,
considering  the large  numbers  of RFC822-deviant  mailers  out there.  Quite
frankly, I *like*  the way it works  -- it seems sensible to  point Sender: at
LISTSERV because IT is doing the redistribution.

I know, I know, sense does not a standard make. But, the rule I was taught was
to "be stringent in what you send out  and liberal in what you will accept". I
think  that  LISTSERV does  a  terrific  job of  conforming  to  the de  facto
conventions already in place on the various nets, and a pretty passable job of
complying with RFC822 as well (within  the limitations of RSCS & the Crosswell
MAILER software).  Errors-To: is a commonly  used keyword, and it  seems to me
that  the address  there is  the  logical place  to send  errors, eg,  bounced
mail,etc.

At any rate, I guess the point is that Eric's stuff conforms to what *is*, not
what the standards say. My vote goes for leaving it that way.

David Boyes       (503) 686-4394     |BITNET: 556@OREGON1
Systems Group                        |ARPA  : 556%OREGON1.BITNET@
University of Oregon Computing Center|          WISCVM.WISC.EDU

  UUCP: [your fav backbone]...!tektronix!uoregon!oregon2!oregon1!556