Tue, 1 Dec 1992 14:02:00 EST
I received an additional entry to a Listserv Policy Survey I recently
sent to LSTSRV-L.  It's being passed along for your reading pleasure.
John Clutcher, Project Leader/E-mail Postmaster  Information Systems
Internet: [log in to unmask]            Hershey Medical Center
Bitnet:   [log in to unmask]                 500 University Drive
Voice:    (717) 531-8682                         Hershey, PA 17033  USA

====== additional entry follows ======

Date:         Tue, 17 Nov 92  10:50:01 EST
From:         "Mignon Erixon-Stanford, Academic Systems Head" <IRMSS907@SIVM>
Subject:      LISTSERV Policy Survey
To:           <JCLUTCHE@PSUHMC>

From:    Mignon Erixon-Stanford, Academic Systems Head

>> From:         [log in to unmask]
>>
>> If interested in responding to this survey, please reply before
>> Tuesday November 10th.  At that time, I will pull the information
>> together and send the survey back to LSTSRV-L at UGA for distribution.

Sorry I'm late.  Was on vacation for a couple of weeks (ah, bliss!).

We're   LISTSERV@SIVM  or  [log in to unmask]

>> 2)  Do you have a policy?  If yes, what is it?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= start of Smithsonian policy =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

DOCUMENT TITLE:         LISTSERV Discussion Groups Policy
AUTHOR(s):        Mignon Erixon-Stanford
DISTRIBUTION: All Smithsonian Electronic Mail Users
RELATED POLICIES:
      Federal _____________________
      S. I.   _____________________
                  any policies governing use of the IBM 4381 computer
                  any policies governing use of electronic mail
APPLICABLE STANDARDS/RELATED DOCUMENTATION:

I.    INTRODUCTION

LISTSERV is a Mailing Lists Manager, which allows the creation of dis-
cussion groups (also known as LISTS), maintenance of a mailing list for
each discussion group, maintenance of associated information files, and
packages of related files.  It is the Smithsonian's electronic
conferencing machine.

LISTSERV software is accessible to all Smithsonian electronic mail users
who have access (directly or remotely) to the IBM 4381.

Smithsonian staff and researchers who have an electronic mail account on
the IBM 4381 or other system connected over BITNET may participate in
LISTSERV discussion groups.

II.   POLICY

Participation in LISTSERV discussion groups is available to all SI staff
and others involved in official Smithsonian business who have need to use
or participate in these groups.  Any discussion group based on the
Smithsonian's LISTSERV machine must be sponsored by a Smithsonian staff
member.  Discussion group topics should relate to the mission of the
Smithsonian and the activities of the sponsoring Agency.

The same basic rules apply as stated in the PROFS policy, notably:
-     Users may not use LISTSERV or BITNET to willfully violate software
      copyright.
-     Users may not (intentionally) spread files or programs which cause
      loss or damage to data or the system(s), such as a computer virus.
-     Abuse of LISTSERV services by users will first be brought to the
      attention of the users involved.  Recurrent abuse will be reported
      to the user's project manager or supervisor.  Continued abuse may
      result in removal of the user's account.

Use of BITNET is governed by BITNET policy, which states that BITNET must
not be used for commercial purposes or for profit ventures.  Proprietary
software may not be distributed over BITNET.  Employment may not be
solicited over BITNET.

III.  PROCEDURE

A.    OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR LISTSERV DISCUSSION GROUPS

      The Smithsonian Institution reserves the right to limit the resources
      the discussion group may use (such as disk space) or to terminate the
      discussion group.

      In order to use LISTSERV, you will need the following:
      -     a userid on one of the Smithsonian nodes, (ie: SIVM or SIMSC) or
            a userid on another BITNET node, MCI MAIL, or INTERNET,
      -     and communications capability from your Personal Computer.

      A discussion group which meets the following criteria may be started
      by any SI staff member.
      -     BITNET-wide discussions are pertinent to Smithsonian research or
            education.
      -     Internal (SI-wide) discussions are pertinent to research or
            education.
      -     LISTSERV is not used for commercial purposes.
      -     LISTSERV is not used to illegally distribute proprietary
            software.

      ESTABLISHING AND MAINTAINING DISCUSSION GROUPS

      The following prerequisites will also be met.
      -     Requests must come from the Head of a major office, bureau, or
            higher authority to start a discussion group.  Requests are
            submitted to the Director of OIRM in the form of a memorandum
            documenting need, objectives, scope and subject matter of the
            electronic conference.  The memorandum must assign responsibility
            for the maintenance of the conference, identify the individual
            who will be the list owner.  The List owner is the person who
            maintains the list and is responsible for the management of his
            or her individual mailing list, and who may assign editorial
            resonsibility to another individual.  The memorandum must also
            estimate the number of subscribers and the number of messages
            per period of time expected to be transmitted over the
            conference.  Requests will be evaluated according to the above
            mentioned criteria and the availability of resources to the
            LISTSERV system.
      -     The list owner and editor must show proficiency in using BITNET
            services.
      -     All editors/list owners must coordinate list maintenance with the
            LISTSERV Postmaster.
      -     For SIVM users, the editor/list owner must show proficiency in
            VM/CMS, and either Xedit or uploading/downloading files.
      -     Editors and list owners from other SI nodes must have
            authorization from the administrator of the other machine (such
            as SIMSC) and must be familiar with commands to communicate
            electronically with the IBM 4381 by mail or interactively.

B.    USE OF LISTSERV and BITNET SERVICES

      1.    LISTSERV

      -     No file maintained may be greater than 300,000 bytes (300
            Kilobytes).  This is the maximum file size allowed for
            transmittal over BITNET.
      -     No list may have more than one cylinder of data on minidisk
            storage.
      -     The maximum number of subscribers on any Smithsonian sponsored
            discussion group is 100.  When the number of subscribers exceeds
            100, the list owner is required to request that the list be
            PEERED on another LISTSERV.

      -     Automated subscriber acknowledgement letters set by LISTSERV
            will note that if resource requirements become too great, the
            Smithsonian Institution reserves the right to cut back on the
            resources the discussion group may use (such as disk space) or
            to terminate the discussion group.

      2.    BITNET

      The user is expected to show reasonable judgement in requesting and
      sending files over BITNET.  Space to hold these files is limited.
      Files in the spool area over 30 days old are subject to elimination
      without notification.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= end of Smithsonian policy =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

>> 3)  Who determines if a new list can be created?
Director acts on recommendation of PostMaster.  The policy was written
to allow as much latitude as possible, yet provide some guidance on
how users behave on-line.

>> 4)  Are policies different within Information Systems than
>>     outside your department?  (Example: Would you have to go to
>>     a review committee to get a new list approved for work related
>>     activities within Information Systems?)
No.  One policy for all.

>> 5)  Are there any restrictions to a new list?
>>     (Does it have to be work related?)
Yes.

>> 6)  Do you review lists to see if they are active?
>>     If yes, how often?
Yes. I monitor them almost daily & keep in touch with all list owners
on a bi-weekly basis.

>> 7)  How do you support the educational needs of new members
>>     to a list?  Do you have a "Guide to using Listserv" for
>>     new members?
I teach them myself; give them a copy of Lisa Kovi's tips & techniques,
and the CMS Primer or a cheat sheet of Xedit commands to use.
I review list options when we create each new list.

>> 8)  Are you experiencing any problems with unedited lists?
>>     How do you resolved problems when a member of a list is
>>     concerned about its contents?
Each list has a list owner; occasionally questions about behaviour arise.
List owner or I send mail or call the offender & let everyone on the
list know what is expected.

>> 9)  What Listserv, INTERNET or other documents have been helpful
>>     in your establishing a Listserv policy?  Where is that
>>     document located?
I used Bitnet policy, a dose of common sense & intro from Eric's
Listserv documentation to establish our policy.  Our legal counsel
reviewed it, then our managers got a stab at the document.  We had
the policy in effect & announced before we let folks start a list.

>> 10) Other comments... legal concerns, how Listserv fits into your
>>     institution's educational mission, helpful suggestions, etc.
If anyone wants to copy our policy, feel free.
Research Systems Division     Smithsonian Institution, A&I 2310
Washington, DC 20560          Internet: [log in to unmask]