Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:26:04 -0600
A number of my lists are currently mirrored via Jim's fine service at
american.edu to the bit.listserv.* hierarchy.  One of them has become MUCH
more trouble than it is worth for a variety of reasons I won't bore you
with.  I'd like to eliminate it.  I know how to eliminate the feed from the
list to the gateway, and can do that in a minute.

However, is there any technical, political, or other way to assure that the
bit.listserv.listname newsgroup dies and disappears?  I'm concerned that if
it still continues as a home for spam and such that the "bad reputation" of
the newsgroup members (not just spammers, but a couple of jerks who've been
dumped from the list for cause.....repeated flagrant violations of
rules.....) will reflect back on the mailing list, which has a fine
reputation as the one source for info of the type in the field.

I tossed a note to Jim McIntosh about it, but I know he's way too busy to
teach me about the politics and such of newsgroups, which I almost never
visit.

thanks, y'all

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534