Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show HTML Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
"Hoag, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 11:39:24 -0700
text/plain (4 kB) , text/html (12 kB)
My recollection (it could be rusty) is that the SITE.MAILTPL sits between the DEFAULT.MAILTPL and any listname.MAILTPL in priority and allows you to save modified templates that you want to use for your whole site that would survive version upgrades, etc.

I think LISTSERV(tm) looks for a specific template first in the listname.MAILTPL, then SITE.MAILTPL, and finally in DEFAULT.MAILTPL. If it finds the template in any one of these it stops looking and uses that one. I'm not sure if there are other levels in there or not now.

We'll now see just how rusty my memory is... ;-)

Marty

From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Manly

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:02 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: Banners in LISTSERV

Thanks for the quick response.  Two followups:

1) If the server-wide defaults are in DEFAULT.MAILTPL, what is the function of SITE.MAILTPL?

2) Nathan wrote "Testing on my test list indicates that if you remove the .hh block, it will work"  So the "#" characters are just treated as whitespace in the template?

Thanks again.

- JWM

From: LISTSERV give-and-take forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]<mailto:[mailto:[log in to unmask]]> On Behalf Of Nathan Brindle

Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:05 PM

To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Re: [LSTSRV-L] Banners in LISTSERV

At 07:22 PM 8/25/2011 -0400, John Manly wrote:

Hello.  I have a few questions about BANNERS that I can't seem to find the answer to in the documentation:

1) What is the difference and intended usage of the BOTTOM_BANNER vs. the DEFAULT_BOTTOM_BANNER templates?  I would have thought that DEFAULT_BOTTOM_BANNER was a site-wide default, with BOTTOM_BANNER being list specific, but when I look in a given list's MAILTPL file, I see both.  In what sort of circumstances should one use one over the other?

DEFAULT_BOTTOM_BANNER is ignored if found in the list-level template, so why it's in the template file is anybody's guess.  Possibly someone copied it in thinking it was needed.

2) How does the <list>.MAILTPL file get populated when a new list is created?  Where are the true site-wide defaults kept from which these are copied?  (SITE.MAILTPL?  default.MAILTPL?  How these work in terms of which overrides which?)

There is no listname.MAILTPL file until you create it, either by a PUT operation via email or by editing one of the templates available in the web interface.  Server-wide defaults are kept in DEFAULT.MAILTPL and are used unless they are overridden by the list-level template.

3) What triggers the creation of the <list>.MAILTPL file at all?  Is one always created unconditionally at list creation time, or only if some kind of template modifications have taken place?  (On my system I have some lists that have a MAILTPL file and some that don't, and some of the ones that do are ones I know have not had their templates specifically modified.)

I think I just answered that above :)

4) Does the "#" character have any special significance in a MAILTPL file?  As a comment delimeter, for example?

No.  You start a comment line with ".*" as documented.

I have a MAILTPL file that looks like this:

>>> BOTTOM_BANNER Default bottom banner

.CS ISO-8859-1

To unsubscribe from the list: &LISTNAME-signoff-request@&MYHOST<mailto:&LISTNAME-signoff-request@&MYHOST>

.hh on

########################################################################

##To unsubscribe from the &LISTNAME list, click the following link:

##.BB &LITEFE = 0

## &*TICKET_URL(&LISTNAME_ENCODED,SIGNOFF);

##.ELSE

##&WA_URL;?SUBED1=&LISTNAME_ENCODED&A=1

##.EB

.hh off

Not surprisingly, it causes errors on messages about the ".hh" directive (which is invalid), but the "#" characters don't seem to show up either.  Maybe that's because of the directive error, but those prefix "##" look like someone thought it was a commend delimiter, so I just want to double-check before I fix it.

Testing on my test list indicates that if you remove the .hh block, it will work.  (Which was what I figured but I thought I'd test it to make sure.)  What you ought to be getting in the mail with it set up like the above is something like

>>> Error in line 4 of LISTNAME.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<< -> .hh on <-

instead of the banner.

Nathan

To unsubscribe from the LSTSRV-L list, click the following link:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=LSTSRV-L&A=1

To unsubscribe from the LSTSRV-L list, click the following link:

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTSRV-L list:

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]

or click the following link:

ATOM RSS1 RSS2