Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 12 Mar 88 19:13:01 SET
Please keep in mind that whatever the implementation, the postmaster will
have to  store the file  himself, otherwise  you have a  security expose.
What I mean is:

- The list owner controls what gets put  in the list header, and we don't
  want to change that.

- If the list owner can choose the fileid, we have a security exposure.

- If the fileid  is fixed (eg 'listname GREETING'),  the postmaster still
  needs to authorize the  list owner to store it; and  if the contents of
  this file  contain MAILFORM information,  the postmaster must  check it
  out before installing it, for security reasons.

The only  thing you  could allow  a list owner  to do  without postmaster
authorization is  to place a  pure-text blurb (nothing  interpreted) into
the greeting mailforms;  this blurb would have to be  defined in the list
header itself.

I don't  think this  would provide enough  functionality, except  in some
particular  cases:  mailform  interpretation  is  almost  always  needed.
Besides, you don't have  to maintain a full mailform if  you only want to
change  the greeting:  just create  a mailform  file containing  only the
updated  $SIGNUP  and  LISTSERV  will automatically  pick  up  the  other
messages from the standard mailform file.

  Eric