Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:42:01 +0200
On Sat, 12 Apr 1997 22:29:41 -0600 Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Words-L  has had  ftf  meetings and  tshirts  since 91.  We  just do  it
>ourselves. Never  thought to even ask  Eric for help on  it. Candidly, I
>can't see  as how  it would be  worthwhile to him,  since the  people on
>blues-l aren't the ones who buy the software.

True, but  that's not the way  it works :-)  The general idea is  to give
shirts to people who will actually wear  them. Sure, you can give a shirt
to a manager at  a convention and it will make  a one-time impression and
end up in a closet, because it kind  of clashes with the suit and tie. Or
maybe it  will come to  good use  when the car  needs a wash.  That's the
traditional T-shirt  giveaway algorithm  that is  deployed at  just about
every convention I've been at, and the  bottom line is that you never see
anyone actually  wearing these  shirts (other than  a couple  dozen nerds
that got paid to  wear it during the expo). You might  as well have given
people a brochure. If on the other hand you give the shirts to people who
actually wear them, their managers, neighbours  and so on will be exposed
to   the  brand/logo/whatever.   Bonus  points   if  the   wearer  is   a
software-buying manager,  but this is  not necessary. I do  agree however
that a  record company would draw  more benefit from BLUES-L  shirts than
L-Soft.

  Eric