Doug Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jul 1993 22:57:48 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> Nancy ([log in to unmask])
wrote:
: This posting has gone out on the user services, charge back and the
: academic software development groups also.

It appears that whoever posted it - via usenet, since it had an INN-style
message-ID - started at bit.admin and started working up through the bit.*
groups carried at his site (I saw it in bit.admin, bit.general, bit.listserv.
aix-l, at the very minimum).

I sent him - and root at his site - a request that he immediately stop
sending this to newsgroups that it's not applicable to (are there any ?
alt.sex.wanted ? alt.personals.ads ? alt.dcom.telecom ?).  This was
inappropriate behavior for any list, not just cumrec-l.

That number, or one like it, was discussed on comp.dcom.telecom several
weeks ago.

Having run PSU NetNews and used it to gateway articles between news and
mail, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, Eric) (-: that the 'Sender:'
header or the 'From:' header can be a subscriber to the list and generate
a match.  Anything gatewayed from usenet to a mailing list will have a
'Sender:' of <netnews-server-id>@<gateway-host> - ie [log in to unmask]
edu.... and any article gatewayed from the mailing list into usenet will
be mailed to <netnews-server-id>@<gateway-host>, so it has to be subscribed
to the list.  Hence, anything coming through a usenet->list gateway using
PSU NetNews and Revised Listserv is automatically considered acceptable
for posting, even if the list is send=private.

One possibility if you want to still allow the articles to be read on
usenet, but you want usenet-generated postings to be forwarded for your
personal attention, is to ask that the list be converted to a moderated
list on the usenet end, with the list-owner as the moderator.  It's not
necessary to moderate the mailing list itself.  Jim McIntosh ([log in to unmask])
can help you with this.  The other alternative is to ask Jim to remove
the gateway completely, which is your option as a list-owner.  Be aware
that for some lists, this will result in a BIG increase in subscriptions
and mail delivery load, because more sites are adding the bit.* hierarchy
to their news subscriptions.

--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center, Youngstown State University
[log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]     <internet>!cc.ysu.edu!doug