Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Nov 1993 20:36:38 EST
In case anyone is wondering:

a) if LISTSERV keeps any stats on duplicates, let alone on a list by list
basis, I can't find them. :-(

b) duplicates are reflected in the server's console log only by the same
innocuous "information mail sent to" message used for just about everything
else. :-(

c) The message sent to someone in case they submit an apparent duplicate
isn't in $DEFAULT MAILFORM.  (Anyone know offhand if it's in some
particular EXEC or something?)

d) The duplicate warning message isn't copied to the Errors-To people
as far as I can tell. :-(

The whole issue of duplicates and gatewayed groups came up not too long ago
(anyone remember the phrase SCIFAQ-L?).  The answer then came out as,
"Sometimes you get false alarms, but the check for duplicates does more
good than harm." I don't really disagree with that conclusion, but at least
one person who posts to comp.sys.solaris does.  Such is life.

I'm reasonably sure I'm not sitting on a misconfigured gateway/LISTSERV
set-up, but at the same time, I'm not confident that LISTSERV would spit
out many warnings to either the postmaster or the list owners if there
were suddenly systematic duplication occuring.

Sigh,
Nick

* ------
* Come to the 1994 VM Workshop: June 7-10 at the University of Notre Dame!
* User Experience talks, dialogues with IBM, and presentations from other
* vendors in an intimate, informal setting.  Contact me or sign up for
* [log in to unmask] for details!