Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Sep 1993 20:23:19 -0400
On Sep 22, 14:30, "John S. Fisher" wrote:
} Here's the snag:  Each list has a corresponding news group on USENET,
} and, courtesy of UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU, posted news items are sent to the
} list.  I'm supposed to send mail items back to the news group (via
} UCBVAX), excluding the stuff sent by UCBVAX (naturally).

} I understand that in the Unix world they create a "hidden" list.  UCBVAX
} sends to the hidden list; everyone else sends to the public list.  The
} public list has only two members--the hidden list and UCBVAX.  The hidden
} list as the real membership.

This sounds about right and fairly simple to prevent loopback on your
end.  You do have to get UCBVAX to change their forwarding address - do
you have contact with them?  I believe that these were setup and
maintained by Erik E.  Fair.  He should be able to assist.  Trick is
contacting him.  Maybe postmaster@ucbvax knows.  Failing that, try
posting to news.admin.misc asking for general assistance or one of the
whois servers for Erik.

--
Chris Lewis; [log in to unmask]; Phone: Canada 613 832-0541
Psroff 3.0 info: [log in to unmask]