"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:32:52 EDT
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:58:57 -0700 John, Laura said:
>Pete Weiss wrote:
>
>>Can't be done in the B_B.
>
><snip>
>
>>Even if they are explicitly told their "old" address, most can't do
>anything
>>about that anyways and will STILL need to contact you.
>
>It's fine if they contact us, it's just that sometimes I can't figure out
>what the subscribed address is. And no matter how polite I am, the users

Welcome to the club.  It's only getting worse.

>usually don't understand that we have no way of knowing what address they
>subscribed under -- after all, they are getting the newsletter. So, I was
>thinking that I could say "Forward me your last newsletter and I'll be happy
>to unsubscribe you."

Well, you might be able to do this if you look at the Received headers.
I often find that helps a lot, since that narrows down the hosts involved.

>>The standard template that LISTSERV(R) generates to a non-subscriber who
>>tries to UNSUBSCRIBE is just as valid for your problem identification
>>procedure w/o the extreme overhead of having LISTSERV(R) create an
>>individualized email for each of your subscribers.
>
>Unfortunately, they *do* get the message and they still can't figure it out.
>Maybe it's just our users <shrug>

Doubtful.  I assume that you also have Probe turned on?  Not that it would
help in the case, but it would offer a solution in the long run, since the
message is sent individually.