Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Sep 90 00:48:08 O
Well I  couldn't reproduce this  problem, but I know  how to solve  it: I
will  remove extended  statistics from  the  next release,  as they  have
basically become useless:

1. For  lists with  a non-negligible number  of non-local  recipients and
   non-negligible traffic,  you should  use DISTRIBUTE  and in  this case
   such statistics are not computed.

2. If  the traffic is  very low (like  LCOORD-L@CEARN) you don't  need to
   have extended statistics.

3. For lists with only local people you should not use DISTRIBUTE but the
   link.bytes value will be 0 since  you are not sending anything outside
   the node.

Extended  stats cost  a  lot of  CPU  time to  maintain  and have  become
worthless through the introduction of domain-style addresses which cannot
be used  in the calculation. I  would not be  surprised if a lot  of list
owners  used the  'Extended'  option  just because  they  copied it  from
another  list, without  understanding, or  because they  just want  "more
statistics" (ie  they don't know what  it means, but it  means "more" and
they want as much as they can). Let's save cycles and prevent people from
drawing wrong conclusions from meaningless figures.

  Eric