Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:16:04 -0500
We recently upgraded SENDMAIL ... with no apparent adverse affects.
Then, at the end of March, we upgraded the Linux system. My
systems programmer gives me these number for new levels:

    sendmail RHL 7.3 system ...

    RHL sendmail 8.11.6 with backported security and lsoft patches

    glibc 2.2.5-43

The symptoms are hundreds of files in the LISTSERV spool directory
and people complaining that mail from LISTSERV is not arriving.

The relevant portion of my go.user contains

    SORT_RECIPIENTS=1

    TZONE=`date +%z`

    export TZONE

    MAXBSMTP=50

    export MAXBSMTP

    SMTP_RESET_EVERY=60

    export SMTP_RESET_EVERY

    SMTP_FORWARD_1="2*MURDOCH.UNET.MAINE.EDU"

    export SMTP_FORWARD_1

"Murdoch.unet.maine.edu" is the local "lists.maine.edu" LISTSERV
system. LISTSERV has not been changed in months.

The only thing I notice in listserv.log is at startup:

    Currently processed  10 files.

    Currently processed  20 files.

    Currently processed 1160 files.

    Currently processed 1170 files.

    3 Apr 2003 23:58:09 SIGNUP files are being compressed...

    3 Apr 2003 23:58:09 -> 7 entries removed.

    3 Apr 2003 23:58:09 Nearest NJE host is LISTSERV@CUNYVM

(Now there are 2300+ files waiting)

My systems programmer, in a quick look at his sendmail logs, says that
he thinks he is seeing just one 50-recipient mail on the couple of posts
that we tracked ...  that should have passed several 50-recipient items.
If I look in spool for one post, I see about 15 awaiting files with
various recipients, consecutively numbered.  The first recipient in the
oldest mail is "[log in to unmask]" which to me suggests there was another
.mail file that had been processed.

Any suggestions? Does this sound familiar?
--

Wayne T. Smith -- [log in to unmask] -- Systems Software Analyst
University of Maine System (UNET)