Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Fri, 26 May 89 22:09:17 GMT
>Suggestion:
>
>  When ordering  a listserv  package, and  in the case  I am  experiencing, a
>series of packages  at once can LISTSERV simply recognize  that when the user
>has requested  to much  data for  a day that  it halt  the retrieval  of that
>package and  go on to the  next command? So, if  a user asks for  10 packages
>each having 200  files and the first  package puts them over  the limit, then
>they will get 9 messages saying they have exceeded the limit instead of 9*200
>-- this will greatly reduce the resource usage of listserv as well.
>
>/mrg

With release 1.6a, the retrieval of  a package cannot be interrupted. That is,
the package is treated as a unique file, and the GET quota exit is called only
once - for the first file,  but unfortunately with the arguments corresponding
to that  one file,  not to the  total package. Computing  the total  number of
files and their total  size would not only require a lot of  code and CPU time
(the present implementation being recursive, this information is known only at
the end), it would also require a  change in the parameters passed to the exit
(which now assumes  it's called for 1 file,  ie new number of files =  1 + old
number).

However this  does solve the problem  of packages being halted  in the middle.
Either  you  are  allowed  to  order the  whole  package,  including  possible
sub-packages, or you can't order any the files. You will no longer receive one
error message per file, in that case.

  Eric