Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Sun, 10 Sep 89 16:37:05 GMT
Meanwhile, Richard,  because a  large number of  backbone servers  do not
keep their BITEARN NODES up to date and RICEVM1 was defined only in 8908,
I had over 600 junk notes from  various servers in the world in my reader
this morning, and  they keep pouring in.  As you can see it's  not just a
problem of  not having the proper  tools, it's also a  problem of getting
people to update things. That's not a  flame at you (it's not your fault)
or them (LISTSERV is often a low-priority item for the postmasters), just
a statement of fact.

I have stopped  updating EARN servers on  the 1st of July.  Turgut is now
responsible for  doing so.  Unfortunately it  took 2  months to  the EARN
people to  XEDIT LISTCPRT MEMO,  C/LISTSERV/LISTEARN/* * (and  this after
wasting 1 week of my time discussing changes to the contract so that they
could use a  name different from "LISTEARN", which they  didn't like (but
they  didn't  know  which  name   they  wanted  either),  and  apparently
eventually decided to use), C/the  author/EARN/* *, and add one paragraph
with an EARN copyright.  Now this paper is being mailed  to the EARN site
directors, who have  to sign it, mail  it back, etc. When all  of this is
over,  Turgut will  be able  to  update the  PEERS NAMES  on EARN  sites.
Meanwhile, nobody is doing it, and I can only reiterate my recommendation
to EARN sites to  simply AFD to PEERS NAMES from  some BITNET sites until
EARN is  ready to  provide a nonzero  amount of service  to its  share of
LISTSERVs.

  Eric