"F. Scott Ophof" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Jul 1993 21:26:52 -0400
On Tue, 20 Jul 93 11:53:29 -0700 Rusty Wright said:
>   Computers are tools, just like a hammer, a needle, a spoon.
>   The prime characteristic of any GOOD tool is that it's designed to
>   make it easy for the USER to work with.
>   So IMHO users should be able to type at their keyboard:
>      Please accept my subscription to the Listmanagers magazine
>   and the user's commputer should figure out what it means, where to
>   send it to, in what format, and what to expect in return.

>Yeah, and I'd like to be able to get in my car and say out loud "take
>me home" and have the car drive me there.

Would be a good idea for the MADD people (Mothers Against Drunk
Drivers) to bug the auto manufacturers with that idea...

>Wake up and smell the flowers; we don't live in a perfect world.

They do smell nice, don't they?  :-)
Aside from that, one of the basics of many in the computer world is
to produce improvements.  So one of the questions I want to ask
y'all is whether the idea of moving the whole concept of user
interface consistency to the user's side is a good one or not.
And why (not).

Regards.
$$\