Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Fri, 24 Nov 89 13:14:21 GMT
>Huh? That many sites willing and able to maintain their Listserv without
>any kind, form, or shape of support?

The situation, as of the last LISTEARN SITES file, is the following:

1. 15 EARN sites signed the LISTEARN agreement; 2 of them got 1.6 later.

2. 8 other EARN sites ordered 1.6 from me.

3. The EARN BoD issued a directive for all EARN backbone site to sign the
   LISTEARN agreement.

As far as support is concerned, the status is the following:

- 13 sites get LISTEARN support from Turgut.

- 10 sites get 1.6 service from me.

- 1 site gets  support for their 1.5o  server from me because  my job is,
  for the time being, to take care of the 3090 it is running on.

- 22 sites,  ie about 50% of  EARN LISTSERVs, are totally  unsupported as
  far as Turgut and myself are concerned.

There are a few of sites which are still working on getting the necessary
paperwork done (which can mean finding out who is going to decide and who
is going to  sign and whether or  not the clauses need to  be amended and
what about the  internal regulations and what is the  advice of our legal
service  and...) to  get 1.6  from me.  I assume  this is  also true  for
LISTEARN. More importantly, there are a number of sites who, after having
spent some time  doing the kind of  things I mentioned above  to get 1.6,
are  now faced  with an  order from  the EARN  BoD to  sign the  LISTEARN
contract, which cancels  any 1.5o or 1.6 contract with  me. They have now
set aside  the 1.6 paperwork, started  on the paperwork necessary  to get
LISTEARN signed, and  will then have to restart the  1.6 paperwork (which
becomes longer because the LISTSERV  License Agreement has been cancelled
*in writing* and therefore needs to be reinstated in writing).

  Eric