Mary Schweitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 18:33:10 -0400
I've received two of these today -- the first had return-path to
[log in to unmask]; the second is as I've copied below.  Curious
if anybody else on this list has gotten one.  I haven't sent anything
to the aol address listed because I'm not sure that's not someone who's
been set up; I haven't written Samsung for the same reason.  Do I
write netcom, or just see how this thing plays out?  anybody got any
answers, or have I missed some posts?  I am, of course, assuming this
either is Samsung responding to a SPAM and getting the SPAMmees instead
of the SPAMmers, or it's a full-fledged creative SPAM in an effort
to create a mailbombing.  It's a beaut.  But it could get annoying.
-- Mary

------forwarded message---------

From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 97 10:47:21 EST
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cease And Desist Flaming

On behalf of our client, Samsung America Inc., ("Samsung")
we hereby request that you cease and desist all
inflammatory internet hacking, telephone hacking, flaming,
jamming, and other illegal activities.

If you have responded aversely to a recent bulk email
message from our client, Samsung America, Inc., or from any
of its subsidiary companies, then you may be one of the
people who has performed fraudulent and actionable
transgressions, thereby causing severe harm to our client.

Your email name was provided as being suspected of
connection to various acts of internet terrorism.  Your acts
are illegal.

Several messages have suggested that Samsung and/or its
subsidiaries, including but not limited to Sailahead Global
Emporium, www.sailahead.com, and Samsung Electronics,
www.sosimple.com, violated US Federal Laws through
activities commonly called "spamming."  This allegation is
unfounded in the law, as spamming is a protected activity
under the laws of free speech.

Our client has asked us to inform you that all of your
future correspondences should be directed to their counsel:

Russell L. Allyn, Attorney at Law
California Sate Bar Number (SBN) 143531
Katz, Hoyt, Seigel & Kapor LLP
Los Angeles, CA
310-473-1300
310-473-7138 (fax)

All incidents of internet terrorism will be prosecuted
where possible, and reported to appropriate law enforcement
authorities as warranted.

Please consider this as your notice to cease all attempts
to harm multi-national corporations who conduct legitimate
commerce on the internet.

Russell L. Allyn, Attorney at Law