Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 16:36:04 +0100
[From the minutes  of the last EARN-RPG group, which  I was unfortunately
unable to attend]

> One agenda item added at the request of M. Gettes to discuss non member
> sites using members' LISTSERV backbone.
>
> (...)
>
> 7a. Non-member Usage of Core Services
>
>   A concern  was raised  about the  current possibilty  that non-member
>   sites  are  benefitting  from   core  services.  Specifically,  if  a
>   non-member  site is  running Listserv  and is  listed in  the SERVICE
>   NAMES file,  then it  will send DISTRIBUTE  jobs via  the BITNET/EARN
>   Listserv core.  Among the  possible solutions  discussed were:  to do
>   nothing, charge  non-member sites, charge  L-soft, or ask  L-soft for
>   other solutions.  The general consensus  was that the  entire concern
>   should be referred to the EARN board for consideration.

This whole  item came  as a  shock to  me. Both  because L-Soft  is being
accused and noone had informed me that this discussion had taken place or
that this  concern was being brought  to the EARN board  or even existed,
and  because the  underlying  implications are  staggering.  Last time  I
checked, the  EARN core was run  on machines generously provided  by EARN
members using manpower provided by EARN members. EARN does not pay in any
way for the resources used to run  the core and I just can't believe that
EARN feels it  is in a position  to charge for the use  of other people's
machine and time. Aside  from not having any legal basis,  I am sure that
the  sites donating  LISTSERV  cycles for  backbone  operations would  be
delighted  to hear  that EARN  is proposing  to charge  L-Soft (and  thus
charge them indirectly,  because L-Soft's money obviously  comes from its
customers) for the privilege of providing these backbone services, simply
because EARN somehow  feels it is unfair that some  people are finding it
more advantageous  to purchase LISTSERV-TCP/IP and  leave EARN, depriving
EARN of some needed revenue. I'm sorry folks, but this is what you call a
"free country". Things just don't work that way in free countries. People
are free to  run the software they  want on their machines  and donate or
not donate cycles as they see fit.

Anyway, since  this appears to be  a serious concern, L-Soft  is going to
modify LISTSERV to address EARN's concerns  in the next release, which is
due in a month  or two. If this concern had been  brought to my attention
before, it would have been addressed  earlier. I hope that this concludes
this ridiculous exchange to EARN's satisfaction.

  Eric