Brent Hetland <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 May 2016 15:00:10 +0000
Hi All,

I have one user who was just added to a list and has tried to post one email message to the list.

The user received an email from ListServ telling them that it was rejected because they are not authorized.

The message in the listserv log was the generic message below (I’ve changed the email addresses for privacy):

16 May 2016 10:23:33 Processing file 31935 from [log in to unmask]

16 May 2016 10:23:33 -> Rejected:

* You  are not  authorized to  send mail  to the  ABC_LEADERS list  from your

* [log in to unmask] account.  You might be  authorized to post to  the list

* from another account, or perhaps when using another mail program configured

* to use a different email address. However, LISTSERV has no way to associate

* this other account or address with yours.  If you need assistance or if you

* have any  questions regarding  the policy of  the ABC_LEADERS  list, please

* contact the list owners at [log in to unmask]

16 May 2016 10:23:33 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]

This user is setup the same as other users who can post.

The user’s ListServ settings for the list are:  4;5243904;0;736094;736096;16777215

It’d be nice to be able to break down the bit flags stored above. Does anyone know of a website that breaks down bit flags into their individual values?

Subscription Options for user

Mail Header Style:  Normal LISTSERV-style header

Acknowledgements:  Short message confirming Receipt

Miscellaneous:  No options are selected

The only thing I can think of is that they may have been using an email client that is configured for a different email account, and trying to Send an email by changing the “Send” box to their listserv email address…  but most users wouldn’t try that.

Q. Any ideas of what I can look at or have them try?

I guess I can try to have them post by logging into ListServ, but that seems pointless if they still can’t send a post from their email client.

Thanks,

Brent