Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 5 Sep 1992 01:20:36 +0200
Well, well. Let's see if I can pour some water on the fire.

>    I  find this  a little  disturbing, is  this the  expected reply  or
>attitude  that I  am going  to get  from the  postmaster when  a problem
>arises.

Please bear in mind that not everyone is a native speaker of English, and
that different  countries have  different cultures  and social  norms. In
some  countries it  is normal  to expect  everyone else  to abide  by the
national canons of  accepted social behaviour, in others it  is normal to
express one's displeasure in no unclear terms. The previous sentence is a
snide remark  by Anglo-Saxon standards,  it is everyday practice  where I
come from,  some sort  of sport  if you want.  Some measure  of tolerance
clearly helps in international contexts.

>|  Let me tell you that you work stupidly more than you needed. It shows
>|that you don't have much work to do otherwise, you would have thougt
>|f a way of getting in contact with the postmaster of listserv, who
>|s SERVEMAN@EB0UB011, where i got nothing from you.

Here is  what *I*  understood: "Let  me tell  you that  you unnecessarily
worked more than you  would have needed. You must not  have had much work
to do on that  day, otherwise you would have thought  of getting in touch
with the  postmaster", etc. See,  it doesn't  take more than  a misplaced
comma to change the meaning of a whole sentence.

>|I hope I  don't have never more  to work together, because  it's a real
>|pain in the ***.

Cristina  regrets  having  put  so  much work  into  improving  a  rotten
situation she is  not responsible for, and then getting  all that flak on
public lists.  Darren may not have  known that she isn't  responsible for
the EB0UB011  problems, but Cristina  may have understood  it differently
and thought he was blaming her personally for that, hence the reply.

Now can we please get back to our everyday question about the location of
the LISTSERV documentation that is listed  in appendix A but doesn't seem
to be anywhere? :-)

  Eric