Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 11:53:05 EST
This topic  reminds me  of WordPerfect  for some reason.  Think about  it. If
WordPerfect was only available  for DOS, not for Windows, or  any other OS, I
wonder if its  use would decline. I  think its to Eric's  credit that despite
the decline in  the number of mainframes on BITnet,  Listserv traffic remains
high and seems to  be increasing (at least from my viewpoint).  By the way, I
definitely plan  to ask my  employer to buy into  Lsoft next fiscal  year. Of
course, I  will continue to be  a Listserv advocate until  Listserv no longer
meets the  needs of Temple's computer  users. I don't see  that happening any
time soon, although I had my doubts a couple of years ago.

If you're developing  a commercial software product that's  available only on
one platform,  you're looking for trouble  because there's a good  chance for
that platform to fall  out of favor as happens so often  in this business. My
Mac IIvx,  for instance, was  obsolete before I took  delivery on it  about a
year  ago.  Software  developers  and  others in  this  business  must  offer
specific  services, not  specific hardware  or software.  Sell services,  not
"stuff". I  think Eric has  reached this realization.  I hope others  in this
business also recognize this because unemployement lines aren't fun places to
visit ...  so I have heard.  Sorry for preaching.

Stan Horwitz, Consultant    | Bitnet           | Internet
Temple University           | V4039@TEMPLEVM   | [log in to unmask]