Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 02:38:37 -0500
Bill Verity wrote:
> I asked lsoft about this and they did not have a solution. I was
> hoping that we could somehow adapt their DB2 or Oracle code to call
> LDAP instead.
>
> Has anyone written a standalone program that queries an LDAP data
> base, massages the results and then mails the results to listserv to
> repopulate a list periodically?

Can't help on the first ... Lsoft will find a business reason to  ...
I'm hoping!  :-)

On the latter, we, and I suspect lots of folks, do this.  Mine send
e-mail jobs to repopulate the lists; maybe someday I'll change them to
write directly to LISTSERV via TCP.

A number of  selections can't be done with LDAP data, but can be done
with SQL queries of the HR systems ... which output employee IDs.  Drop
those IDs into a program that looks up e-mail from employee ID in LDAP
to similarly repopulate a list (this is in development).  I'd *much*
rather that LISTSERV was flexible enough so my list owners could drop
their list of employee IDs into the LISTSERV "Bulk" web page, my exit
would be called to generate e-mail addresses, and the list updated via
LSoft existing function.  The idea being that what is dropped is simply
data for the exit.

cheers, wayne