Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Jun 2022 00:23:34 -0400
On Jun 26, 2022, at 6:57 PM, Orrell, Justin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We’re running v17 on a Server 2019 virtual server and I’m wondering if it’s possible to tweak the handling time for email sends to lists.
>
> For example, we have a list with just over 1500 recipients and posting to the list takes 35 minutes to be sent to recipients; is this normal? Can this be tweaked at all?

That does seem slow, just over 40 recipients per second. I would look in the LISTSERV log file to see when LISTSERV started processing the message and how long it took. The log file entries to look for should be along these lines:

27 Jun 2022 08:11:16 Processing file 5023707 from [log in to unmask]
27 Jun 2022 08:11:16 Processing mail from [log in to unmask] for TEST-L
DMARC(EXAMPLE.COM)> v=DMARC1; p=none;
27 Jun 2022 08:11:16 Distributing mail ("TEST-L") from owner-TEST-L@LISTS.EXAMPLE.COM...
[...]
27 Jun 2022 08:15:08 Enqueued for background delivery, ID=N-33F39B0A
27 Jun 2022 08:15:08 Done - 2 outbound file (1500 rcpts).
27 Jun 2022 08:15:08 Message DISTRIBUTEd to 1500 recipients.

If the message is from a non-subscriber, or a new subscriber, then the message may be delayed by ten minutes as part of LISTSERV’s anti-spam feature. In that case, looking ten minute before the above you would see:

27 Jun 2022 08:01:16 Processing file 5023707 from [log in to unmask]
27 Jun 2022 08:01:16 -> Inserting top/bottom banners...
-> Not a subscriber, will process in 10 minutes.

This ten minute ’spam quarantine’ is normal and part of LISTSERV’s anti-spam feature. If the mailing list is set up so that spam isn’t a concern, then it can be reduced or removed using the ‘Loopcheck= Spam-Delay()‘ setting described at http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/17.0/listkwd/kLoopcheck.html <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/17.0/listkwd/kLoopcheck.html> .

The things I would start out looking at are whether the delay occurred before LISTSERV processed the message (in the above example, at 8:01:16 with the spam delay), or whether the processing of the message took a long time (in the above example, it took a little under four minutes, from 8:11:16 to 8:15:08), or whether the delay happened after the LISTSERV processed the message. This should then give you an indication as to where you should focus the next phase of your investigations.

Another way to approach this would be to get the full headers of one of the delayed messages and look to see where the delay was introduced. MXtookbox has some information on how to access a message’s headers here:

https://mxtoolbox.com/public/content/emailheaders/ <https://mxtoolbox.com/public/content/emailheaders/>

and some tools to help analyze them here:

https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx <https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx>

-jwgh