Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:33:12 +1000
Teresa

your problem is more than likely an Exchange or Outlook problem.  I've put
some instructions below but they're a bit long-winded so anyone not in a
Microsoft environment can cheerfully ignore the rest.

The very first thing to do is for your subscriber to check their Outlook
settings.  If they have the list address in their Personal Address Book,
tell them to open the address book entry, choose the SMTP-General tab, and
then click the Send Options button.  In this dialog they have the chance to
specify how the message is formatted on an individual basis. Make sure that
plain-text *is not* selected.  The best option in this case is to NOT
specify ANY formatting....leave everything unchecked.  (If the address is in
the Global Address Book then this won't matter as the user has no control
over it.)

Next, tell them to look at the send options for Outlook.  In the main
Outlook window click on Tools -> Options and then select the Mail Format
tab.  At the top of the dialog is a drop-down list where they can choose the
default format that Outlook sends in.  Make sure that Microsoft Outlook Rich
Text is chosen.  Click OK to all of that.

Lastly, you'll need someone to look at Exchange.  I know that you've already
tested it by sending directly to your own mailbox but that can be misleading
if you and the subscriber are in the same mail domain.  Exchange will, by
default, *always* send in Rich Text to users in the same mail domain/network
unless explicitly overridden by the sender.  There is, however, a setting in
the configuration that can be set to specify how all messages are sent
outside the mail domain, which is essentially any email that leaves the
Exchange machine.  (I can give you some instructions but they will only
apply to Exchange 5 & 5.5.  I don't have any experience with Ex2000 but I
imagine the basics will still apply.)

Open the Exchange Administrator panel.  Choose your mail domain, then click
on Configuration -> Connections -> Internet Mail Service.  Choose the
Internet Mail tab then click on the Advanced Options button.  In this dialog
you can specify how Exchange sends Rich Text formatting for outbound mail
(that is, any mail destined for outside of the mail domain).  The drop-down
list has the options of Always, User, and Never.  If 'Never' is selected
then that means *all* outbound mail will be formatted in plain-text
regardless of the user's wishes.  The best option here is to set it to
'User' so that individuals can choose how their mail is formatted.  Click OK
to everything then stop & restart the Exchange service (not absolutely
necessary but, hey, this is Windows :).

I hope this is of some benefit to you.  As mentioned before, make sure your
header has Language= Exchange.  I had a similar problem on one of our lists
and that did clear it up.

Good luck!

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.