Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Dec 1993 20:39:35 +0100
I still  read mail  with RDRLIST  and I somehow  managed to  confuse this
message with a  bug report I didn't  find time to look  into until today.
Sorry for the late reply.

On Mon, 13 Dec 1993 18:02:43 EST David Nessl <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Since none of  the original conditions that justified  BITNET now exist,
>I've got to wonder do we still need it? From a cost-benefit perspective,
>why pay both CREN dues and a LISTSERV license when I could be paying for
>just a LISTSERV license?

Actually, this very problem is one of  the reasons it took so long to get
an agreement with  CREN. L-Soft's goal was to sell  software and services
at  a lower  rate through  volume  discount arrangements  that solve  the
annoying "spring budget"  problem, letting US academic  sites have access
to the software right now rather than this summer. The idea of not having
to send 161  copies of custom-selected federal  certificates to guarantee
we don't make experiments on  live animals and don't discriminate against
war veterans is also appealing. But setting aside the little details, all
we wanted to do  is a volume sale. It is unfortunate  that CREN is having
problems keeping its members, but that isn't L-Soft's fault. Through this
discounted sale  we hoped to help  CREN enough that they  would feel they
are getting  something for  their effort and  money. Furthermore  if CREN
becomes a large  customer there is no reason why  L-Soft wouldn't help it
to a reasonable extent. The problem  is that CREN and L-Soft didn't agree
on the definition  of "reasonable". We think "reasonable"  means that new
CREN members can get the CREN discount on a prorated license getting them
in synch with  the main CREN contract,  which they can later  join - that
sort of things. CREN thought the adjective included things such as a free
license for  LISTSERV-TCP/IP. While this  would clearly help  them retain
their membership, it  would be like letting CREN sell  LISTSERV to the US
academic community and keep the profits, which is not very different from
the "before L-Soft" situation when you think about it.

Anyway, I think it is important not to confuse CREN and NJE technology in
this debate. NJE technology still has its uses, especially in third world
and eastern  countries where people  simply can't  afford a 64k  line (in
some  countries,  the  PTT  can't   *deliver*  a  64k  line  because  the
infrastructures are  not yet present).  NJE is  very cheap, both  for the
individual  sites and  for  the organizations  providing  the tables  and
coordination. EARN runs  on a budget of around $600-700k  (don't know the
current ECU exchange rate), and for  that price they provide all sorts of
other services, and  in particular documentation and  assistance to third
world and eastern  countries. Granted, there are a lot  more NJE sites in
the US, but  I'm sure that with  say $750k one could  provide a top-notch
NJE  service, including  centrally managed  INTERBIT gateways,  full-time
staff to  answer technical queries, well-maintained  information services
(gopher and the like), and there would  even be some money left to make a
profit. The only thing not included in this scenario is the purchase of a
mainframe, as this alone could cost  more than $750k, but I'm sure cycles
can be obtained  at a reasonable rate  or even for free  (in exchange for
free membership or  some other token contribution). There  are around 500
CREN members  so NJE doesn't need  to cost more than  $1500/year for each
site, and if it includes a helpdesk it becomes a piece of cake to sell it
to your management (barring political or religious problems).

Another reason to  dissociate CREN from NJE is that  CREN's stated intent
is to move  away from NJE. While they will  probably provide this service
for as long as there are customers,  CREN's strategy does not rely on NJE
and they shouldn't be judged on NJE, but on the new services mentioned in
the brochure (not including LISTSERV,  which wouldn't have been mentioned
if they had  asked L-Soft for permission  to take credit for  what is not
theirs, but that's another story).

To conclude, I think that the futures of LISTSERV, NJE and CREN are three
separate issues, even though there are clear ties at the moment. LISTSERV
will go on with or without NJE,  but preferrably with. NJE will go on for
as long  as there are  people interested in  that technology. If  for any
reason CREN were  to decide to "dump" NJE, I'm  sure another organization
will pick up the  service (although CREN holds a monopoly  on NJE at this
time,  being  a non-profit  organization  they  would  have to  open  the
monopoly if they decided not to  offer the service any longer). NJE users
need not worry that the service  will be killed from the inside. Finally,
CREN will go on with or  without LISTSERV and NJE, adjusting its offering
to what it perceives to be the  new needs of the community it represents.
Its continued survival will depend on  the success of these new services,
and not on NJE.

  Eric