Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
The Revised LISTSERV Distribution List <LSTSRV-L@EB0UB011>
From:
"John S. Fisher" <FISHER@RPICICGE>
Date:
Wed, 03 Jun 87 14:52:16 EDT
I'm in the process of reviewing Eric's recent question to many Listserv
owners of "Do you want to be part of the Listserv backbone?"  Looking
over the LSTSRV-L log Eric forwarded (I'm new to this list, so be
gentle),  I've come to the following conclusions:

To be part of the backbone you must

o  have a reliable, available Listserv.  (Ideally 24hr/day, 7 days a
   week +/- a few hours for service, backups...)

o  install updates to Listserv in a very timely fashion, or allow them
   to be installed automatically.

o  keep the supporting data files (e.g. BITEARN NODES) up to date.

o  provide Listserv with a modest amount of disk space for a few peer-
   related files.

The advantage to Bitnet/Earn/Netnorth is "better" Listserv service.
The advantage to the host is the usual fame and fortune associated with
   being a "good neighbor" to the other network members.

Is it really that simple, or have I overlooked some obscure snag?  I'm
still fairly ignorant of many of Listserv's inner workings and slicker
features, but it doesn't sound like I need to be much of a "guru" to
participate.