Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 04:21:36 -0400
On Thu, 07 Aug 1997 22:46:22 EDT, you said:
>  I did ask to be on this list, and I know how to get off, but does anyone
> have any idea how all of these people could get on a list without knowing?
> Yes I know how to do e-mail spoofing, but this many people?

It's worse than that.  The list is "open, confirm", which means
that even after a forged subscription, the user would STILL have
to confirm it.  Also, note that almost all the "victims" seem
to be at AOL.  I'm fairly convinced that there are a number of
things at work here:

1) Apparently AOL has a misleading entry for the list, so people
subscribe to it accidentally.
2) AOL users appear not to be able to read the mail that is sent
to them saying how to unsubscribe.

<warning - the following program contains satire and socio-political
commentary. Parental discretion advised.>

I'm not that up to speed on Listserv's template facility, but
perhaps we need to add to the default 'confirm your subscription'
prose the following sort of thing:

.if victim = *.aol.com and listname=lstsrv-l
YO! Net-surfer dooodz!  This k-rad 3l33t list is *NOT* about
blooz music, or sexy pictures, or warez filez, or whatever it
is AOL told you it was.  It's about a software package that
manages mailing lists.  If you don't give a hoot about this
software, DO NOT CONFIRM THIS SUBSCRIPTION!  Just delete the
mail, walk away, and find someplace else to enjoy yourself.

If you *do* decide to subscribe anyhow, *SAVE THE DIRECTIONS*.
We're tired of telling AOL users how to get off the list, and
are using a .357 Magnum for removal.  AOL doesn't care - when
you have 12 million customers, losing one isn't much. We dont
care either - Dirty Harry movies in REAL LIFE are more fun than
having to explain AGAIN to an AOL user.
.endif

(Apologies in advance to any AOL users on this list who have
more than a half dozen neurons - it's 4AM, it's been a LONG week
wasted cleaning up after lamers rather than doing anything
productive, and I'm severely convinced that the only thing
that $20/month all-you-can-eat internet proves is that the
average intelligence required to have a spare $20/month is
quite low... maybe we'll get very lucky, they'll stay online,
not reproduce, and the future forecast in C.M. Korbluth's
"The Marching Morons" won't come to pass... ;)

/Valdis (who picks up a mop, and starts cleaning up the vented
spleen off the floor.  I feel MUCH better now, catch you all Monday ;)