Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 14 May 1987 22:10 SET
  It   is  simply   a  modified   IBM  NOTE   exec,  registered   hack  number
5749DMS00/NOTE/239485, which sends the stuff out  with a filetype of MAIL. And
here  you are,  it  gets interpreted  as  RFC822 and  is found  to  be of  the
following form:

From: userid@node name

(no angle brackets)

Hence the userid@node  becomes 'CAROLE'. This is grossly  incorrect of course.
I'll have to  run the new parser  through it to see  what it says --  I bet it
shouts out that there's an error.

Right, it says:

I Empty 'From:' field found an ignored. (several times -- due to the commas)

E Mail origin cannot be determined.

E Original FROM field was: blablabla

This means 1.5j would reject such messages.  I definitely need to buy myself a
double-thickness  asbestos coat.  I'm  not  going to  do  anything about  this
anyway. IBM NOTEs should  not try to give the impression  that they are RFC822
mail -- is it SO difficult to modify NOTE to create valid RFC822 headers? Just
quote the whole thing and append '<userid@node>' at the end, eg:

From: "Eric Thomas                                           ERIC at FRECP11
       CTI
       Ecole Centrale de Paris
       blablabla" <ERIC@FRECP11>

and make sure to translate " to ' and \ to blank inside the name to avoid
problems. That's all. Is it THAT difficult???

  Eric