Ronald Beatteay <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 May 2015 03:28:00 +0000
  Ok,, I didn't see the reply from Valdis via email.
  It's not just the dmarc issue I'm researching,  I'd like to facilitate photo sharing on my list also, and not just via attachments.  Not ever "client" does  more than allow attachments.  Thunderbird does, Opera doesn't,  etc.  Some, like Opera, don't allow
 embedding, and even then, like in the case of
 Thunderbird, the photos get rejected, the photos
 I'm testing,  no matter the size, are being rejected.
 Not so with gmail.
  Ron

      From: Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:16 PM
 Subject: Re: Email Client Question

On May 21, 2015, at 9:46 PM, Ronald Beatteay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  What's "Valdis"?    A google search with that term
> doesn't turn up anything related to email.

Valdis is the name of someone who replied to your question the other day.  You can see that response here:

    http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?A2=LSTSRV-L;90809479.1505

As far as the question of what free email service provider people should use, this is my take.  This goes over some ground that’s already been covered, so I apologize for that duplication.

AOL and Yahoo are the only major email providers that I know of that have a DMARC ‘p=reject’ record, though of course others may decide to implement a similar policy later.  The reason that LISTSERV rewrites the ‘From:’ addresses on messages it distributes from these domains can be found here:

    http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/LISTSERV16.0-2014b_WhatsNew.pdf

As you noted, GMail has a weird issue with REPRO,  If you want to be able to document that this is the result of a Google policy (and not some problem on LISTSERV’s end) you can refer them to this Google support document:

    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6588?hl=en

as well as this discussion of the policy in gmail’s user forums:

    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/Ho0jq6jDMRQ%5B1-25%5D

Of the big free email providers, I think that pretty much leaves Hotmail/Outlook.com.  I’m not aware of any serious weirdness there, or at least not at this point in time.  (I don’t like the way it displays ‘Sender:’ headers, but I can’t really say it’s wrong, and there are partial workarounds anyway: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/owner-faq.stm#_Toc81722895>)

But just because a free email provider works one way today doesn’t mean that it will work the same way tomorrow, so making this sort of recommendation is tricky.

-jwgh

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: