Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:26:31 -0500
At 02:17 PM 2/25/97 EST, Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843 wrote:
>Are you absolutely sure that this isn't a sendmail-type of
>hop counting vs. LISTSERV(R)?

Huh?  A hop is a hop.  One Received: header == one hop, for purposes
of generating this error, as far as I can tell.  Maybe you meant
something else, and my thick skull just won't absorb it today... :-)

>BTW, if you haven't, try SET listname SHORT -- this might
>bypass the particular situation with LISTSERV backbone/peered
>lists.

I tried that just for fun.  Is this list (LSTSRV-L) peered BTW?

First of all, your suggestion "works" -- Received: headers, before
leaving uga.cc.uga.edu, are no longer present.  This will do just
fine for most users, I imagine.

However, Message-Id: is stripped.  I don't like that.  Besides,
both Message-Id: and Received: headers have their uses (tracing
spam, identifying trouble spots, etc.), and I really would prefer
to have them.  (I haven't looked in great detail to see what
else might be different.)

I think the "solution" may be to get the sendmail default raised from
17, a number which once probably made sense but now probably does
not -- but unfortunately this is probably a slow process.

<sigh>  I'm tired tonight...uninspired...maybe another time.

Cheers,
Stan