"Juan M. Courcoul" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Jan 1993 11:21:22 CST
On Mon, 18 Jan 1993 10:59:55 CST David E Boyes said:
>However, to do anything really useful, you need Hypercard II,
>which is a extra cost product. Of couse, most Mac users cough up
>the extra bucks, but it's not universal.

I should have been more explicit. As far as I know, HyperCard II is the only
current version around nowadays. The last few Macs we acquired, which had
System 7 preinstalled on their hard disks, also came with a HyperCard II
player, both preinstalled on the HD, as well as in diskette form.

The National Science Foundation's Internet Tour stack (which I mentioned
in my previous letter) is in HyperCard II format, and runs flawlessly on
any newer Mac.

>Hypercard is also extremely weak when it comes to communications
>stuff -- especially when you have to handle full-screen
>applications.  MacWorkstation might be a possiblity, in tandem
>with a CMS application that reduced the problem to parsing a
>series of line-mode text commands...

Its not clear to me whether Eric's idea was just to have a standalone
"Listserv use tutorial" or a full fledged communications package. I agree
that HyperCard, being an interpreter-based application, cannot cope with
real-time communications, especially with a 3270 protocol, unless it was
running on one of the big Quadras... ;)

On the PC world, a tutorial could be done using IBM's HyperCard clone ( ;) I
guess my antiMeSsyDOS bias is showing...) o a communications setup could be
based on the Clarkson TN3270 emulator, which uses packet drivers.

JMC

P.S. 'nother plug for NSF's Internet Tour: it also comes with an auxilliary
     stack, where you can incorporate your local setup, so the whole picture,
     local & netwide, is presented in a seamless fashion to the user.