Jeffrey Boulier <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:02:22 -0400
Hi y'all!

I've been thinking of changing the mail configuration of our campus
machines such that our listserv box will send mail on to our main mail
server for delivery.

The only thing I am really concerned about is whether there will be
problems with the "hop count". We have ours set to thirty, but there are
still a lot of servers which won't accept mail after it's been through
seventeen systems or more before reaching the destination [this is to
prevent mailing loops].

So, my main question would be "does anyone know a nice way with sendmail
to have it deliver to host x, y, and z; and everything else should be sent
to a mail hub for delivery". That way I could tell the mail system to
deliver mail directly to the LISTSERV backbone hosts, and give the rest of
the stuff to the powerhouse mail hub.

And the subsidiary question: Anyone know if hop count is much of a problem
anymore, especially as the BITNET portion of the LISTSERV backbone is not
much in use? I haven't seen questions or complaints about it in a very
long time. Would I be likely to push mail systems over the edge if I just
forwarded everything to the main hub?

                        Yours in LISTSERVness,
                                --Jeff B.