Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Apr 2015 06:27:50 +0000
The web interface uses a compiled-in equivalent to lcmdx.c, and standard LISTSERV commands. I don't know the metrics of your workload and I am not trying to sell you anything, but we have customers with BIG workloads and the HPO version of LISTSERV never even comes close to the 1 sec wall for regular non-privileged commands. You can get a free one-month trial from your sales rep if you think that might be the problem. If it makes no difference, the problem is elsewhere, usually network bandwidth or RAM too tight in a virtual environment. Don't go below 2G for a big workload.

-        All (or a subset of) lists that the user could subscribe to (with a description of each list)

'LISTS AVAIL' I guess? Define "subset" :)

-        Current list subscriptions for a user

'QUERY *' is annoying to parse but ridiculously fast if you are concerned about performance. Try 'QUERY ***GUI*** *' for more computer-friendly output.

-        An easy way to subscribe or unsubscribe to a list (like with a checkbox button next to the list name)

That's an HTML problem, then it's up to you to decide whether you want double opt-in or not within the confines of your own organization, etc. X-CONFIRM or SUBSCRIBE or ADD/DELETE from a site admin address.

SQL or not is a religious question. The upside is that you don't need to learn LISTSERV commands. The downside is that it is inherently less reliable. There will be times that your database is down and LISTSERV is up and you get ugly error messages, plus it's slower if you are concerned about performance. I am talking "DBMS= Yes" here as my religion prevents me from contemplating "daily midnight refreshes from the master database" :)

 Eric

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sevick, Robert S.
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 12:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Help with Listserv frontend development?

Hello,

After consulting with Listserv support, they suggested I ask these forums my questions so here goes.
We are considering / investigating a web front end and customizations to Listserv to provide our entire staff easy access to a subset of our Listserv lists (to opt-in or opt-out) that would make it easy to use and cool/edgy.

We aren't finding much that would make interactive queries possible so that the web site would provide:

-        All (or a subset of) lists that the user could subscribe to (with a description of each list)

-        Current list subscriptions for a user

-        An easy way to subscribe or unsubscribe to a list (like with a checkbox button next to the list name)

See an example below we found on the web we'd like to replicate/customize internally.

One problem we see is getting interactive / timely (1-2 sec or less) responses from Listserv to determine if someone is a member of a list or not to check the "Already subscribed" button.

Some questions we came up with are:

-        Would reconfiguring/setting up Listserv to use DBMS (SQL) and querying SQL directly solve this?

-        If we setup a separate SQL database that this website would query directly, what would the best way to keep that database populated with current list memberships (like a script that would run several times a day to update the database)?

-        Has anyone done this before and could provide some guidance, examples, code, etc.?

We also attempted to use TCPGUI and compiling lcmdx.c to query Listserv but it seems very limited.

[cid:image003.jpg@01D066F3.E1C89750]

Thanks for any help / guidance here.  Appreciate it!

Rob Sevick
Active Directory, Messaging and VMware Administrator
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
Office - (443) 778-7854
Fax - (301) 362-8209

[ITS_Blue-snapped2]