Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 17:14:10 PST
I will put in my $.02 about where list/newsgroup communication is going.
Remember, it is worth every penny you paid for it.

The right way to regulate the s/n of a list is to edit it.  I do not mean
for content, a poster should have an absolute right to post if he will
pay a sufficient bill.  For example, I would let Cantor and Siegal post
to my list on building PCs for $10 per subscriber.  At that rate they
could subsidize a lot of useful traffic.  At that rate, I think they
would decline.  But it would be rational on both sides.

Where lists are going is to announced sponsorship.  Some lists (like
hobby lists) would probably be sponsored by the readers.  A few lists
(like help lists) would be sponsored by the posters.  Even fewer lists
(like tech support lists) would be paid for by a vendor who found that
to be cheaper than commercial tech support.  But every list would cost
recover, including the time of the editor at something like $8-12 per
hour.

This is the only way lists will be viable.  If you need proof of that,
look at C$ and aol.   Dave

Dave Gomberg       Internet: [log in to unmask]