"Geert K. Marien" <GKMCU@CUNYVM>
Mon, 3 Apr 89 11:23:37 EDT
On Mon, 3 Apr 89 12:00:50 GMT Eric Thomas said:

> ...                                 The  complaints  come from  sites  which
>have  a good  number of  large local lists,  sometimes with  as much as 1000
>subscribers  on them,  and  who've got  to justify  every  second of CPU time
>spent on  network (ie  non-local) services.  I don't  really know  what to do
>there.  They could  be allowed  to  disable netwide  functions, but then what
>happens if  they do  have a few  non-local lists (that  is usually  the case,
>even  if most  lists are  local)? What  if a  local user  does a SIGNOFF with
>the  NETWIDE  option and  doesn't  get  signed  off these  lists  because the
>function is disabled?

Why not  have a  Local-Only header.  Only Local  Postmasters may  affect these
lists.  Other  commands touch  (search/modify)  only  Local-Only =  No  lists.
A local  area may be  defined in  the SYSVARS file(s)  and then it may be used
as a service-area parm as well.

/Geert

** The views  above are my  own and  may not be  those of my  employer. **
** They should  be taken as  my own  and not as  those of anyone  else. **