Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:49:25 -0400
At 08:16 10/12/2000 Thursday, Langum, Michael J. wrote:
 >We changed the "Send= Open" to "Send= Private".   I then wanted to test the
 >result, so I (a non-subscriber) sent a test message to the list.  I received
 >a "Your message has been distributed..." reply from the list.
 >
 >Then I got several "out of office" messages from subscribers.
 >
 >The header has the following lines:
 >Reply-to= List
 >Send= Private
 >Sender= List
 >
 >Any suggestions???

It is possible that this is a "timing" issue -- updating of the list
definition headers may have occurred AFTER the software processed a (not
the) message from you.

Or it is possible that "you" are a subscriber and thus the change of
definition was not effective in this test?

The REPLY-TO= has nothing to do with any of the symptons enumerated

The "out of office" messages are a result of 'broken" subscriber systems
e.g., vacation messages sent as the result of bulk mail (e.g.,
LISTSERV-based) is specious.

Pete Weiss @ Penn State