Bill Rubin <WGRCU@CUNYVM>
Tue, 10 Nov 87 16:42:49 EST
>The last few days the link between Yale and Cuny has been incredibly
>overloaded.  Yesterday there were over 5000 files in the queue.  One
>thing that I have noticed is that the listserv at maine and comserv
>at rpicicge have been continually flooding this link with a large number
>of files of the same size.  This got me to thinking that there should
>be peers for some of these lists on the other side of cuny.  What would
>be nice, would be a tool to analyze the distribution list and make such
>suggestions.  Of course, setting up such peers would need to be done
>manually.
>
>Unfortunately, it appears that the RSCS link between Yale and Cuny doesn't
>use any sort of aged priority scheme (there is a moderate sized file waiting
>in the queue to be sent to me for the past four days -- all of the small
>files from listserv move ahead of it), so that making the priority worse
>for listserv files wouldn't seem to help.
>                    Victor Miller -- T.J. Watson Research Ctr.

First, Mail-Via=DISTRIBUTE would help just as much. And in fact, if RPI's
LISTSERV had been shipped current copies of PEERS NAMES last week, instead of
having a 6 month old copy, it would be doing that today.

As for priority aging code, YALEVM had that code running a while ago and it
turned out to have a bunch of problems, so they were finally convinced to
remove it. If IBM were to provide such a feature in their products, instead
of just their internal systems, we would be pleased to use it.

Bill