Tesa Marcon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:58:37 +1100
>The point is, Pete lets his subscribers know up front what is expected and
>friendly behavior for participation on his list. He then not only has
>every right --and every subscriber knows this
>beforehand-- to assert control, but to SET abusers of the list's policy to
>NOPOST if they do not wish to conform.   NOMAIL works.  Peter R

I run a very tight topics list and instituted various rules, A.  to respect
my server's desire that we not waste archive space, B.  to make the digest
clean and clear for readers and 3.  to ensure that people respect each
other.  All new members are under review and experienced members are set
back to review for infringements.  When they find themselves on review they
know they have posted incorrectly and the onus is on them to find the fault
and not do it again if they wish to get off review and remain off.   This
is all made clear in the 'your subscriptions was successful -- welcome'
message along with consequences of arguing or abusing me.  I make it clear
the list is a gift not a right and that staying subscribed is a contract
which includes rules they have agreed to.

I offer support from helper list members to teach people how to use their
email program, to understand the guidelines and one on one support for
following the treatment the list is for.

If someone abuses me or another member, depending on how bad it is I either
request an apology or remove them without notice.

It is my view that people have to take responsibility as I'm not here to
work as hard as I do without them making some effort for the good of all as
well.

It's a personal viewpoint that is not always popular I know............Tesa